Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Arrival in Fiji!

Bula! (hello in Fijian)

Well I made it safe and sound! Besides the travel time getting long and getting little sleep all my flights went as smoothly as possible! With a 19 hour time difference from Minnesota, I arrived in Nadi, Fiji at 4:50 am on Monday Febraury 14th. I was very thankful my luggage came in right away so I was able to catch my connecting flight to Suva where an international worker came and picked me up from the airport. So all in all the traveling was pretty good! I am unpacked and fully moved into my place at waukala flats. It is supposed to be like an apartment but it almost seems more like a house. There are 3 bedrooms on the main floor ( 1 is mine) and a toilet room and a shower room. Downstairs is another bedroom, a living room with 4 chair and a tv ( with 4 channels, 2 working ones- Australian network and London something or other), and a kitchen and kitchen table. They are also air conditioned so that is very nice! A good way to escape the heat! The part that makes me feel lazy and spoiled is it is someone's job to clean our house everyday! She's cleans, empty's garbage's, makes our beds, and washes our dishes! It's crazy!

As for the heat! It’s been mid to high 80’s since I’ve been here. It feels good compared to the negative degrees in Minnesota but is also very warm! I haven’t got my tan on yet but I’m sure it will come quickly with this heat. Sadly the beach is 45 minutes away but that makes for good weekend getaways! Bus rates are good so that should be very manageable!

My Fiji experience thus far:
The first day I was quite jet legged and sleep deprived so once I got settled into my room I took a nice nap! My first evening here my roommates Jess (from North Carolina) and Bettina (from Norway) and I went to a place called Raintree Lodge about 20 minutes there and stayed in dormitories. It felt like camps I went to when I was younger! That night we just hungout at the Lodge and played games! We played “funny ludo” which is like the game sorry back home but with a few different rules. We also played scrabble which I’m usually not very good at but I tied with Bettina so that was fun! Tuesday morning we took a hike up Forest Lake Park. It was soo beautiful walking through the forest and there were beautiful waterfalls! We were going to go swimming in the pools from the water falls but Jess ( being a biology major) said it wasn’t safe with all the mosquitos surrounding the water. Speaking of mosquitos, they are everywhere! It’s like Minnesota summers! Thankfully they liked Jess and Bettina’s blood better than mine so I didn’t get eaten alive but they still aren’t fun! Oh and in our flat we have tiny ants and geico’s! To say the least, I’ll be getting used to bugs!






I will be getting another roommate, Leah from Canada. She will be coming tomorrow! I am excited to meet her! All of my roommates are very nice which is so comforting!

Tomorrow we start orientation so we will get to know our way around campus better as well as the city of Suva. Tomorrow we stick around campus for orientation. Friday we will be going to a village and spending the evening there. Saturday we will head to the beach! Monday classes start!

I did get the internet configured with my computer and we are supposed to have wireless at our flats but we currently don’t! So I will try to keep you all updated as much as possible!

I hope all is well in the US!
Prayer request for a quick adjustment for me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks much!

God Bless,
Hannah

PS I will soon upload more pictures on facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment